Sunday, August 30, 2009

Back in Cuzco

Well, a good night's sleep erased all of the effects of the train ride from Machupichu.  We were scheduled to take a bus tour of Cuzco this day (very tourist).  Unfortunately, we misplaced our tickets and didn't think it was worth paying for them again.  We decided we would just let our noses lead us on tour.  When we went to the main square, it was obvious that something unusual was in the offing. There were lots of bands, military and police standing around.  Either we had stumbled into one of the hundreds of festivals they have in Cuzco or we were witnessing the start of a revolution.

Fortunately, it turned out to be a major holiday.  In a few minutes the square was loaded with people in different kinds of uniform and tons of regular citizens.
There was going to be at least a parade.





They even warmed up with a junior parade ... 5 to 10 year olds bearing an effigy of Mary with a half dozen adults playing instrument behind them.  They started in front of one cathedral and then marched the route the real parade would follow.
Soon, the real thing got started with marching band, soldiers, a large image of Mary and dozens of little kids running in and out through every part of the parade.  I do think it was the world's slowest parade. They stopped every few feet for some reason I couldn't understand.  Then a magical signal came from somewhere, I never heard or saw it, and off they would go again at a very slow walk.
I, of course, sought out high perch so that I could get the best possible pictures.  I thought the base of the flag pole would be perfect.  Apparently the local policia didn't agree that was a good idea.  Visions of sitting in a Peruvian jail cell flashed before my eyes ... but the guy was really very nice and just sent me on my way.   And the parade went on.
After stopping in a nearby hostel for lunch, we went exploring and found another square just a couple of blocks away that was filled with a market place.  There was also a college on that square and the students were providing all kinds of street performances.  There was even a competition for native dress and dance.

No comments: